Media & Presentations
This page shares news coverage about PEARL research or related articles that include interviews/quotes from lab members, as well as information on talks given by lab members.
- [Vitak Quoted] Youn, S. (2020, June 17). Female public health officials say they are ‘shocked’ by the harassment they face over coronavirus response. The Lily/Washington Post. Available:
- [Vitak Quoted] Hu, J. C. (2019, October 25). How well does the Pixel 4’s voice recognition work? Slate. Available:
- [Vitak Quoted] Kim, M. (2019, October 12). We asked the experts: Do Alexa’s new privacy tools go far enough? The Ambient. Available:
- [Vitak Quoted] Walsh, J. D. (2019, August 27). Ten years on, Foursquare is now checking in to you. Even the company is still trying to figure out whether that’s “cool or creepy.” New York Magazine. Available: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/ten-years-on-foursquare-is-now-checking-in-to-you.html
- [Vitak Quoted] Hu, J. C. (2019, July 17). Say hello to dog facial recognition technology. Slate. Available: https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/dog-facial-recognition-privacy-finding-rover-megvii.html
- [Vitak Quoted] Kaye, K. A push for meaningful corporate data research ethics reviews is underway. International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Available: https://iapp.org/news/a/a-push-for-meaningful-corporate-data-research-ethics-reviews-is-underway/
Talks & Presentations
- Vitak, J. Seminar Speaker, “Pervasive data ethics: What researchers, IRBs, and end-users think about data collection and analysis practices.” Computer Science Department, Virginia Tech, October 18, 2019.
- Vitak, J. Invited Speaker, “Existing Models and Inspiring New Networks-of-Networks: Lessons from interdisciplinary networks at the University of Maryland.” SESYNC Networks of Networks workshop, September 12, 2019.
- Vitak, J. Invited Speaker, “Researching Pervasive Data Ethics: Taking a Collaboratory Approach.” Office for Human Research Protections, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Rockville, MD, May 30, 2019.
- Vitak, J. Invited Speaker, “How Consumers Rationalize Privacy and Security Threats When Using Internet of Things Devices.” Presentation at American Psychological Association’s Psybersecurity Workshop, May 23, 2019.
- Vitak, J. Invited Speaker, “Privacy, security, and ethical challenges in the era of big data.” Cornell Tech’s Digital Life Series, New York, NY, March 21, 2019. [poster by Gary Zamchick based on talk]
- Vitak, J. Guest Panelist, “Your Tweets Live Forever.” The Kojo Nnamdi Show, WAMU 88.5FM, August 2, 2018. Available: https://thekojonnamdishow.org/shows/2018-08-02/your-turn-what-happens-when-social-media-surfaces-and-more#how-to-spot-fake-photos-on-twitter
- Vitak, J. Invited Speaker, “Ethics of Using Personal Data in Data Science Research and Education,” Panel at American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington DC, May 14, 2018.
- Vitak, J. Invited Poster Presentation, Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF) (representing PERVADE NSF grant), Capitol Hill, Washington, DC, May 9, 2018. [link to poster]
- Vitak, J. Invited Speaker, “Where’s my data going? Privacy, security, and ethical challenges in the era of ubiquitous data collection. Michigan Interactive and Social Computing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, March 23, 2018. [link]